Tuesday, March 22, 2011

An Introduction of sorts...

This blog is a creative outlet to share my modeling, art and hobby stuff.  I was first exposed to the warhammer 40,000 universe by a friend (who was later my roommate) in college back in the early 1990's.  I loved its mix of classic fantasy with science fiction. Orks in space?!? Hell yeah! Beneath all the fun, there were also some serious human elements.  The temptation of Chaos, the utter faith in the Emperor. It was all very fascinating to a recovering D&D addict.  The backstory was the bait, but the hook was the models.

I built my first model kit (the USS Missouri) when I was 8 years old.  By the time I had gotten to college, I had literally build over a hundred models of ships, planes and tanks.  I got to play with them as a kid, but nothing like a real wargame.  They went from toys to targets as I grew older. I grew up in an old farm house, hunting and fishing- and old battleships slathered with glue by an 8 year old, make fun things for target practice 8 years later.

40k had wormed its way in during college and became firmly entrenched afterwards.  I also began building models again, but this time with an actual IPMS model club.  My aforementioned college roomate and I began competing and judging models at IPMS/AMPS contests in upstate NY and PA.  My painting and building skills grew by leaps and bounds, all of which had their effect on Warhammer. I think that's when I contracted "convertitis"- the inability to build a miniature or model without changing it.

Fast forward to today. Warhammer is still a big part of my life. Its my main hobby. Frettering away at my art table- painting,clipping,sculpting and such keeps me grounded. Its literally saved my life and sanity after some trying medical issues.  So, I'm hoping to share my love for the hobby with this blog as well as catalog the rise of the 40k armies (and their backgrounds). Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment