Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Raptors get to KILL something! : A battle report.

My painting apprentice, aka Broodnest, and I switched places today and he tried to school the "old dog" in the ways of 5th Edition Warhammer 40k.  Yes, I've played a few games prior to this, but I will concede that Broodnest, who is a constant contender in local tournaments, definitely can teach me a few lessons. It’s not a proper battle report, since I didn't take any photos or notes, but there will be one down the road, because my opponent wants to finish up painting his army before we show pics online. So here it is from memory....

The game was 1250 points with a basic Carnage mission (I think) with a single objective in the center and opposite table quarters for deployment.  My force was pretty much all of the minis I have paint on.  A jump pack chaplain, the two Razorback mounted squads, my 6 camo scouts, the 10 man assault team to hang out with the Chappy and 3...yeah, I said 3, dreadnaughts- 1 with twin autocannon and missile launcher, 1 with assault cannon and 1 with plasma cannon. My opponent, had Dark Eldar led by an Ancient Haemonculus, with 2 Raiders, one Ravager, a squad of jet bikes, 2 squads of Wyches and one regular dark eldar warriors….oh, and some incubi.

So, we set up and I went first. My Las/Plasma razorback put the head honcho and his incubi afoot and the twin Assault Cannon razorback shot up the wyches that were afoot. Here’s where the dice gods seemed to set the tone for the game.  If I shot, I hit more than I missed. If he had a cover save or a “Feel No Pain” save, he made it. And that continued until the end of the game.

Squad 3 (in the las/plas razor) was put afoot by the Ravager. And another all game cycle reared its ugly head as my painstakingly painted camo scouts showed that they might look good but couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn if they were leaning against it.  Every guy with a sniper rifle was almost incapable of rolling better than a ‘2’.  The Missile launcher guy was the exception….as long as he was firing Frag missiles at infantry….but he couldn’t hit a vehicle to save himself.

Try as he might, Broodnest couldn’t seem to do anything but scratch the paint on my dreadnaughts. This eventually led him to throwing his jet bikers into close combat with the Twin AC/ML dread, after they softened up Squad 3 for its dismemberment by the Ancient Haemonculus, his Incubi and the big group of wyches. It was a continuing comedy that followed as the Dred tried to stomp or bash the swirling jetbikes with its autocannon barrels and my opponent failed one disengagement roll after another.  Though the desired effect, tieing up the gun Dred, happened for 3 turns. I finished off the Ravager and blew the guns off the remaining Raider, which he then tried to ram my flanking Assault cannon dred with to no avail.  The Dred ripped the Raider apart and proceeded forward to finish the remnants of the foot Wych squad.


The objective, a communication tower looking thing, became the site of a last minute clusterf*** involving Tac Squad #2, Assault #7 with the Chaplain against the remaining –formerly raider born wyches (6-7 of them left by this time) the Ancient Haemonculus and his last 2 Incubi.  The Ancient Haemonculus and Chaplain went head to head and he died horribly, thanks to the huskblade. The rest of #2 and #7 fared better, sending the wyches into a route which #7 pursued as #2 consolidated on the objective, though they still had the old skin shaper and his last remaining Incubi to deal with as the last turn wound down. Thus, a technical Draw.

Overall, it was a great game, besides a few distractions from onlookers and the rare odd appearance of an attractive girl in the realm of geekdom. Were there another turn I was in a great position to shoot the living daylights out of the Ancient and his buddy. The remaining Dark Eldar that had hid out in a building in the back with their junior Haemonculus had no doubt been plotting the old skin shaper’s demise, since they added little but a few stray shots to the battle. On the final turn they got to shoot, the scout snipers actually hit something too…which was a surprise…only to have their targets make their “feel no pain” saves. One other oddity, especially for me, was that any shot I made with a scatter dice….except one, actually hit the intended target unit.  That was shocking. But, it was great to play a game with a mostly painted army and it’s always fun to play an opponent, who has a good sense of humor and is a great sportsman.  Now…if we could just convince the onlookers to keep the irrelevant conversation to a minimum until after the game, it would have been a very enjoyable afternoon.


2 comments:

  1. Cool that you finally got a game in! I would love to get a game in when I am in the area at some point. Sucks I am about 2 hours away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get out much due to my wierd schedule, so it was nice to get in a game. I'm hoping to get in at least 1 a week. Which means I'll probably get used to 5th edition just about the time 6th Edition drops.

    ReplyDelete