Thursday, September 8, 2011

Rednekk Tutorial: Rusty Rust

One of my favorite parts of painting vehicles is weathering. On anything Orky- including Orks themselves- that means knowing a good technique for chipped paint and rust. Here's a simple technique that can be used for both.  But, we'll start out with something good and rusty. My victim, one of those terrible little square fantasy bases. Someday I need to come up with a good use for these, but for now, painting test subject is perfect.
Rednekk Golden rule: Don't frow nuffin' out!
We start with the subject, a couple foamy inserts from any old battle case or a strip from the foam they use to pack metal minis and a couple beat up old flat brushes that are used for stippling and drybrushing. We paint our subject with a base coat of GW Scorched Brown and let it dry. Then.....
....we stipple/ drybrush the subject with GW Vermin Brown. I tend to try and go lighter on flat surfaces and heavier around corners and edges. But its a very organic process, this is only the medium step so don't go too crazy.
Then we go to the orange. You can go with GW Blazing Orange, but its a bit much. I prefer the foundation color Orange, its just about perfect. Though you can add some blazing orange to it if you want to go brighter.  With weathering, brighter is not always better, but some dramatic rust can be a nice detail. Stipple it on, concentrate on the edges and outer areas the most, but again... do what you feel looks good...we aren't done just yet. ;)

Now comes the foam. You can do this carefully with a brush, but the foam really gives a more random, natural look in my opinion. Tear off some chunks to make a point of sorts. I use a dark brown here - 50/50 scorched brown and black- and stipple it on. I left the pattern on the pallete so you can see what I mean.  Hit some of the edges and some random other spots.  If you don't want any metal showing through, you can stop here but......
... it looks pretty sexy with some GW Boltgun Metal showing through.  And here's a close up of the end result...

Pretty easy, huh? And the end result looks great. You can use the foam stippling thing for paint chipping as well. I actually will repeat the last two steps - with dark brown, then metal- and that's how I weather my Marine armor. The nice thing about the foamies is they can be formed to any shape you need for hard to reach spots. The points are usually one use, but you can always pinch it off. 

One more odd addition that has been siting on my desk for a while has gotten some paint, depending on how attached I get in the painting process it may be destined for E-bay.

Cheers, Ya'll! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment