Monday, February 20, 2012

Fail to the third....

If I had to choose, I'd paint any vehicle model, especially a camoflaged one, with my airbrush. That being said, allow me to present a failure.  I had...what I thought... was a foolproof plan to camoflage the tanks for my army. The colors looked good (in the bottle), I thought it would make a nice 'field applied' look, reminiscent of WW2 german tanks, which goes well with my army.  Even after I got the first color down....and didn't love the way the airbrush was working/ didn't care for the color/ wasn't happy with my technique.... I pushed on to the second color. By golly, I was going to get the basic camo on all three of these buggers and have a super cool blog post and be the envy of my little world.  Well, that second color went on worse than the first and not only that, but didn't really look that great. My venerable compressor's moisture trap wasn't working perfectly (though good for a 28 year old compressor)... but my biggest problem, the one I kept refusing to admit to, was that my paint color choices were not only wrong, but the paint is too old.  I decided to be cheap and it just cost me two hours and I'm not sure how many more to fix the problem.

I'm hoping..... I don't have to dip the tanks in degreaser.
I'm hoping..... I can just hit them with another priming spray and it won't be too thick.
I'm hoping..... I can salvage a real rookie ,friggin' mistake.

OH...it doesn't look that bad.....from a distance. Aside from the error in color choice, the paint went on terribly....and I just kept on painting.  maybe I HAVE had 1 too many concussions.

SO.... the plan? Assuming I don't have to drown my tanks in Krud Kutter and strip some paint..... I'll put another light primer coat of British Armor Brown on them and paint (I can't believe I'm typing this) my camo scheme with brushes.... doing some sort of "ambush" scheme not unlike the uniform camo.  Sort of like this...
.... but with different colors.  

*deeeeeeep breath*   Back to square one.  Uniform camo tutorial of sorts is on deck, should have that up by Wednesday or maybe tomorrow.  That's all for now. I have to go salvage this.... clusterf***.

Cheer's yall. *grumble,grumble*

2 comments:

  1. I don't think it is bad. Maybe it will grow on you. Maybe a wash of some type would help take some the angst out of the situation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I washed it with a coat of British Armor Brown spray last night, since the paint dried OK. Back to square one.

    ReplyDelete