Wednesday, April 4, 2012

507th Volheim Update: Weathering Phase 2

I broke out the washes and the chalk pastels to do some weathering.  The wash is a mix of GW Devlan Mud and Badab Black. I put a wash in the creases and panel lines, then hit it with a hair dryer.  

THEN....on to the redneck weathering powders. Chalk pastels.  I keep meaning to invest in some weathering powders, I really do. But, I've used regular artist's pastels for 20 odd years. The same set of pastels, as a matter of fact, bought in my college bookstore when I was a freshman in 1989. I have a flat brush (2/0) set aside and taped to the box that I only use for pastels. Run the brush on the chalk, pick up some pigment and apply.

After a liberal dose of brown, some black, orange for rusty areas and even some grey and purple, here ae the results.
The next step will likely be over the weekend after I get my mitts on some of the new GW paints. :)

Cheers Ya'll!

5 comments:

  1. The weathering makes all the difference in the world. Wonderful work!

    Ron, From the Warp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ron! I'm an old IPMS/AMPS scale model builder and competitor (and former judge). I just can't bring myself to not weather vehicles...or power armor for that matter.

      Delete
  2. Yea, weathering is like basing a model, it makes a world of a difference. Do you plan to toy with the GW "gritty" paints?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all. I'm planning on getting the few paints I need for my Novamarines and that's pretty much it for now.

      Ron, FTW

      Delete
  3. I may get some of the new GW paints. The basing paints intrigue me, for mud splattering and such. I'll probably buy a couple, maybe one of the basing paints and 1 or 2 drybrushing paints just to see how they work. I'm of the preliminary opinion that, though they are bound to make more $$ off of paint, that GW may have just done something with these paints, modelling stuff, instruction book/dvd, that will really boost the 'hobby' end of the hobby. Even novice painters should be able to do decent looking tabletop stuff...if they follow the instruction. What that's going to do for guys like me who occasionally make money off people who don't like to paint/don't have the time to paint, I'm not sure. In the long run, I think it'll up my painting game too.

    ReplyDelete