Tuesday, April 10, 2012

OMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!!!!!!NEW PAINTS!!

OK.....OK..I'm calm now. Being the GW addict and sucker for new products I made a purchase.
Just a few sample colors, two of the textured 'basing paints' and 3 of the new dry compounds, since I DO love to drybrush and one base color that just happens to come really close to matching British Armor Brown. I have yet to really start ot absorb the book or watch the dvd(that might be later tonight or tomorrow)

Much of it is basics and will be review, but I had an instructor in college who instilled in me 4 things: It never hurts to review the basics. You don't know as much as you think you do and its always good to keep an open mind about any/all techniques. And the two most important things- always think 'outside the box' (or as he would say with his thick Lithuanian accent "unconventionally") AND you can never practice too much. But here's a sort of review of my first impressions of the new products.

 Paint containers and colors have changed through they years. (Yes, that liche purple is still a viable paint and its nearly 20 years old...the washes have begun to smell a little funny though they work just fine) At the risk of sounding like a GW fanboy, I've always loved their paints. I wasn't fond of the 2nd generation paint tubs (I doubt anyone was) but aside from that (and the dropping of Imperial Purple from the paint line) I've always been happy with their product.  Of course, acrylic paint and painting in general, have always been one of my 3 favorite things to do since I was a youngster. The other two involve red meat and women, but we won't get into that. Upon reading about the new paint system, I was excited. After using some of it, I'm very,very pleased.  But....on to the testing. First the textured paint. Specifically, Stirland Mud.
Kindof looks like brownie mix and you definitely want to clean your brush good afterwards.  I can see several applications at first glance. Basic basing, weathering vehicles and adding texture to things like carapaces and gross nurgly stuff. It paints fairly like normal paints, though I'm going to tend to use older brushes for it until I get used to it. To be cautious, it probably wouldn't hurt to have certain brushes just for textured paints if you use alot of it. And yes, you can mix it with the base/layer paints if you want a different color.

If you go for a minimalist basing approach, it'll work just fine on any mini's that don't have a slot. Otherwise you'll have to do some prepping before hand to hide the slots. The mud with a little gloss varnish over it would look great if you wanted a wet muddy effect.  AND..... it does add some nice texture when stippled on vehicles for thick dirt/mud etc...
NOW... for the thing I was most excited to try, the drybrush compounds.  When you open it up, its a bit disconcerting.  My only hope is they don't dry in the container.This is seriously concentrated color and can be blended or thinned with a medium, if you think there is a need to. When using it straight from the pot, a little goes a long.long way.

And its easy to overdo it, as I learned with my first attempt on this base. Less is more. Less IS more.
A little drybrush on Spot and his carapace looks nice and gritty. Great for skulking.
 I thought it might be interesting to see what I could do to a marine with a little select drybrushing and a wash.  A quick and easy way to paint troops quick.. I drybrushed the bulk of the armor (quickly) with Terminus Stone then did the greaves,legs and bolter with the necron compound. (top) then, two healthy washes of Badab Black.  Not bad for a 5 minute marine.

The drybrush compounds dry quickly. Very quickly. And can be interacted with a wash or the like a couple minutes after applying without interaction. Overall, I think the new paint system will make it alot easier for the novice/new painters to get decent looking results and will likely help veteran painters discover great new (and quick) ways toachieve great looks.  Very pleased with my purchase so far..... now to watch my DVD.

Cheers ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment