Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A little Rednekkz 101

My wife is an elementary school teacher. She likes to take advantage of my creativity (usually at short notice) for various classroom projects and the like. Last night, while working on another one of her last minute things, I told her I was trying to get some stuff ready for the blog and she said. "You always post what you paint, but do ever post how you paint?" I suddenly realized the answer is mostly "No".  And I'm horrible at describing it after the fact. So here is an attempt at showing how I approach a model....

Priming: 
Its a personal preference and can be done many ways. I use Krylon indoor/outdoor Primer- Grey/White/Ruddy Brown- most of the time.  On some vehicles, I might break out the airbrush, in which case the first kind of paint to hit the plastic or resin will be model formulated enamels. This is pretty Model/Mini 101 stuff, but if you want the(acrylic) paint to stay on in the long run start with a good primer. Some people like Black, I prefer grey.... its just a personal preference.

Undercoat:
  The next step for me is an acrylic undercoat. I have a few standard premixed formulas I use. The one for most of my Chaos stuff is my "Black-Brown" which is basically 1/2 Scorched Brown,1/4 Black and 1/4 matte medium and water. Its a thin paint, almost a really heavy wash that can get into all of the crevasses the primer may have missed and also will help create dark,shadowy areas for later. I have another one which is basically a Chaos Black wash as well.  On a side note, I REEEEEEaaaaaallly, should have thought twice about securing Blinky to her base before I painted her. Just undercoating her belly was a challenge, painting parts of her is going to be a real bitch.

That's the basics on how I prep almost all of the models I paint. the colors may vary, but the technique is the same.  NOW... on to the basics of the rusty Templars of DOOooom scheme.

After the Black Brown undercoat, I attack the whole model with a beat up brush and a piece of foam. No really.... just look!
A mix of stippling and drybrushing in a rather messy manner with Skrag Brown is the basic step one.  Now, we'll focus in on the right side of the turret for the rest of the madness.
Then I stipple some Ratskin Flesh here and there, especially on the corners. The turret has alot of texture(sand) modelled into it which will likely be picking up other grossness later on, besides just rust.


Now for some Jokaero Orange highlights. I tried to get some of the stipple pattern on the pallete in the picture to give you an idea, but this is really just to pick out the corners.

Then I go back in with the Black-Brown and muck up the pretty oranges.
Finally, after all that work. I paint over most of it with a heavy drybrushing of  Castellan Green to start the multi-step green process, because I like to do things more than once.   There will be washes, drybrushes, a little of this, some of that, some more repainting,etc.etc. before old Not-So-Smilin' Bob is done, that is to be sure.  BUT... the above rust technique is pretty easy and if you add in some stippled in metal showing through its pretty sharp.  Since these Templars are Nurgly, there won't be much bare metal showing that ain't rusted. But in a nutshell, those basic techniques are a large part of my arsenal. I do a lot of stippling and over laying of colors. Which probably explains why I do not have a completely painted army of my own, because I paint slow. In fact, thanks to you folks and this here blog, I've gotten more painted in the last year (and played more games) than I did in the previous year. I intend on tripling that (or more) in 2013.

COMING ATTRACTIONS
Comics are inbound next week around Wednesday. Stay tuned here and at my ARTWERKZ for all the madness.

Hobbywise, I'm going to try to concentrate on ONE army. The problem is I see my Chaos army (Marines,Deamons,Traitor IG,Cultists) as all one army.  I was also going to get a certain something to convert a flyer for the Templars of DOOooom, but the LGS didn't have it. Since I have coupons, I don't want to order it which led me to another decision which involves getting a flyer. Allies.  My wife "owed" me a Christmas present (its the 'get yourself something for your hobby" present) so for half of that present I ordered a model of this.....
"But why?" You ask.
Picture it with a couple jet engines, some rockets and a a couple orks on board.  The other half of my present will the the Ork fighta bomba kit..  I should have 2 Flyers. *giggle*

Cheeers ya'll!

2 comments:

  1. hey man! i really love your models!, my compliments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work on the chaos figs! Can't wait till they are finished.

    ReplyDelete