Thursday, September 5, 2013

Ewwww! What's in there!

More progress on the Spider-drake.

I got to thinking, "What or who might be piloting this thing?" I kind of wracked my brain on how to fill the big empty space in the thorax. As luck would have it (or maybe it was Tzeentch, but we don't like to think about that) the Arachnorok Spider was highlighted in White Dwarf this month and it had inset photos of all the neat little dead things on the goblin sprue I basically hadn't even looked at. Thus... I found my sacrifice...er, pilot.

With some stock plastic card and plenty of green stuff I worked out a cockpit area. Its still lacking some wires,tubes and other little details, but here is what I have so far.....
The other thing you might notice. I decided to scrap the Stormtalon engines on booms.  I took the dremel to her and you can see where the engines will be.  I'm no engineer.... I'm definitely a Mek.  Rednekk engineering, change it as you go. The only thing lacking is duct tape..... and that just might not be in the photos. ;)

OH... and, in case you were wondering, I'll be scratch building some wings. Mechanical wasp-like wings, she is a hunter after all.

Cheers ya'll!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Can't wait to see this painted up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, this is already looking brilliantly disgusting! Looking forward to the next update!

    As for the wings, what about using the ones from the Plague Drones (the Chaos Daemon plastic ones, not the model from FW)? Or are they too small?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. Krautscientist.. I'll be making wings. I had thought about scratch building Plague Drone like rotors (because the Forgeworld ones are a bit small and the wife will kill me if I put any more money into this) I'll be doing a LOT more of the "mech" part of the "bio-mechanical" this week, so maybe folks can figure out my new vision. I'd be lieing if I said I wan't making most of it up as I go along. I truth a good deal of this critter is happening as I sit at the desk, rather than from a plan drawing. In the long run, it'll likely be better for that.

    Things to be added: The main thrust engines, Sphincter like manuver jets (i imaging it farting along to manuver..), hoses,cables, The main mechanical section will be the thorax/pilot area where the wings will attach, One set of 3 eyes will be replaced with a targeting searchlight thingy, mechanical antenna on the head, more cables, wires and little gibbins, plus sculpted nastiness. Most of the areas where metal and monster meet will be infected/corrupted/corroded. So basically, its not quite 1/2 done. :)

    ReplyDelete