Thursday, May 15, 2014

Not-so-Smilin' Bob Redux - Bob Mk III : Part 1

Smilin' Bob was first created from the leftover parts of a Leman Russ and a Defiler kit that I converted with a Warhammer Giant.... long before the first appearance of the Soul Grinder. (his name is "Ahhhnold" and he'll be getting an upgrade in the near future too) Smilin' Bob actually had one eye and a smile in his first incarnation, but my sculpting was fairly rudimentary at the time. Then came the Templars of DOOooms many battles against the Tyranids in the ruins of Petrastad, where poor Bob was repeatedly 'violated' by Trygons on several occasions, very often on his rear armor, if ya' know what I mean. Thus, he became Not-so-Smilin' Bob.

He got an upgrade after the last codex. I pretty much slapped on a new faceplate (which had no smile) added the scourge tongue and brought Bob back with a bit more attitude. I also (kind of out of character) slapped a bunch of paint on him just to have paint on him to play in a league at the LGS.

After the latest additions to my army and the way the has evolved/is evolving, I figure good ol' Bob needs an upgrade too. The first thing I did was give him a good look over and found more than a few pesky seem lines that needed scraping. Bob had also been the guinea pig for a sand = corrosion/rust technique I was trying out with some success. Looking at it now, I think I was a bit overzealous (to be kind)... but I'm not about to scrape/sand sown the whole model.It does add some interesting texture and I'm thinking I can have some fun with it when the painting happens.

First up, was a little added gribbliness for the turret. Just some simple things, more in-line with Blinky,Charlotte and the Sentinels. The rest of the "flash" will come with the painting.


The main body is a different challenge. Most of it is done, except the front end is still being worked. In the end, Bob is going to get a new 'face'. I haven't decided... but he may end up with one eye, since its a reoccuring thing. At this point its still much in the process.... but here's what I have so far.  The right side is the most far along.


That's what we have so far......  more soon.

Cheer's Ya'll!

2 comments:

  1. I'm in awe of this sculpting. Looks absolutely repulsive...which is perfect!

    ReplyDelete