Monday, July 7, 2014

From the Workbench: The Rat Patrol: A New Beginning


I'm not sure how many of you are old enough to remember this "glorious" television classic from the '60's, but I remember seeing reruns of it when I was a kid. Being the son of a WW2 vet and my best friend's dad also being a WW2 vet, we used to eat anything WW2 up, no matter how campy. As those of you who have followed this blog know, my Astra MilitarImperial Guard army is not exactly loyal to the Emperor. There will be some tricksy ally shenanigans in the future so I can get some Battle Brother love, but in the meantime, I need to get my army playable.  I've been stripping minis from the FREE MINI ACQUISITION and taking inventory with most of my hobby time of late, which frankly is pretty damned boring - though I did get a lot done.  I ran across these guys, which I had intended to use as plague zombies at one point (and did in one game)...


Yep...rats and lots of them.  A friend had talked me into the idea of getting back into Warhammer Fantasy when the last edition came out and I started grabbing up Skaven, mostly from the starter set. I also converted one guy, as a test to see if I could make cultist/guardsmen out of them...


Cut down the lasgun , add a couple bits of kit and ...BAM!... cultist/guardsman type ratman thingy.  Yeah, he's a little short... but so was Luke Skywalker. I also have 60-80 or so (frankly, I'm not really sure) Forgeworld militia torsos that need arms as well, but over time, I have acquired a fairly silly amount of extra IG...er,uhm AM bits.  Here's a couple of new guys sans green stuff straps and such, but with the basics....


Not sure if its the best strategy, but I'm planning on arming at least one (if not both) of my platoon command squads with 2 flamers. They can't really do much aside from give orders and die, but if anyone charges them, those flamers could really hurt on overwatch. Though I'll likely make some options, since I have about 8 extra guys after laying out the parade ground.  Each command squad will also get a Vox Creep like THIS GUY.  But, here's the whole gaggle (boy, do I have a LOT of work ahead of me)


Heavy Weapons teams will be Rat Ogre/Chaos Spawn weapon beasts with a handler (on the right sized base) The teams of 6 on the side are slated for Special weapons details. Most likely either snipers (or ratlings - fitting?) or Demo charge teams - because nothing says Chaos like suicidal rats with big explosives. I also have Storm Vermin for veterans/Commisars or Stormtroopers if I'm feeling crazy. And I have about 40 or so Plague monks to work with in various roles. I suppose I need to do an overall Rat commander too.   One other "little" project I have in mind, is converting/scratchbuilding Tauros transports for one platoon.. just so I can call them the Rat Patrol. Sure, they will die horribly... but the Chaos Gods are fine with that.

That's it for now.  Cheers Ya'll!

2 comments:

  1. When we did our Bolt Action Invasion Party we played Rat Patrol Season 1 and 2 on the TV in the store. Big time memories with me waking up watching Sunday morning and actually late Saturday TV....Rat Patrol, BlaBla Blacksheep, Combat, bunch of old west stuff, 10k Leagues under the sea, Lost in Space and more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was addicted to the Blacksheep Squadron show when I was a kid. My dad always loved that show "Combat", he always said for a tv show there was a good deal of realism to it, for its day. Nothing in 40k really comes close to "The Rat Patrol" except maybe Orks on trukks or buggies...and sure can't shoot worth a damn.

    ReplyDelete