Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Sculptin' and a'scupltin'.

First, an update on That Rhett Bastid!

Before.....
After.....
The face is coming together nicely. Not quite done yet, but closer.  His butt, however is done.


And as long as i was working on faces, it was time to get to Ms. Charlotte's.  I wanted to bring in more of the  deamon engine / creepy cyborg into the model since I opted for fleshy wings. This is the beginning of a beaten metal head section with all sorts of tubes an wires and such. Not to mention, two big lense like eyes.


I had some folks on one of the forums ask about what tools I use for sculpting, so here's a little rundown of how I do things. Its not the "right" way or the "best" way, no doubt... but its just the way I've come to sculpting over about a decade of trial and error, watching more than a few videos on Youtube and ... most importantly... hours and hours of screwing up.


#1:Tentacle Makers - the most recent addition to my sculpting kit. Tentacle makers from Green Stuff Industries . These tools, which I'm still figuring out the nuances to, take your fabricating abilities to a whole new level. They also have basic sculpting tools and alot more. Customer service wise, they were a joy to work with (since I had an issue with paypal) Worth every single penny. Basically, to use them you dab the surface with water, put a green stuff coil down and rub the top piece across the base.  Varying the pressure and angle or taking out a coil and rolling it, there are many,many effects you can achieve with these things.

#2: Green stuff.  Hard to do any green stuff sculpting without it. I always try to match the blue and yellow in equal amounts. Yeah, I know that sounds a bit basic... but you can tweek it one way or the other to get a different feel. More blue, hardens a bit quicker, more yellow is stickier takes a bit longer to dry.  Working with wet/ moist fingers (some folks use gloves- I tried it, didn't like the fact that I couldn't feel the green stuff to sense if it was starting to get tacky- its a personal preference) and tools is a must as much as possible. Supposedly, the stuff is non toxic. I wouldn't recommend chewing it to mix it or keep it wet in between sculpts though. I make tentacles,power cables and just roll up coils with my left over green stuff or if I mix too much and its starting to harden and keep them. Little round balls of various sizes can be handy too.

#3: A piece of Acrylic. In this particular case, its half of a $.99 magnetic frame from a local craft store.  Dab water on this with your fingers and set your Green Stuff on it while you are sculpting for a no stick holding area. Also provides a nice wet, no stick surface to roll coils on or do any flat sculpting you might need. If you have two pieces you can use them to roll coils without fear of fingerprints.

#4: Toothpicks.  If you don't have a tool that will do what you want it to, make one. All you need is an Exacto knife and a bunch of toothpicks.  Dip them in water (or put them in your mouth... just before you get green stuff on them,though) and go to work.

#5: Tools, Metal tools. A good set of basic sculpting tools. One purchase, one time... and you are set.  You also see a couple syringes, which I use for making pock marks and other little circles.

#6: Water.

That's all for now. Hopefully, I'll be getting a game in this week, which would be nice.

Cheers ya'll!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tool overview! Great stuff as always. Your posts have inspired me to try a more twisted daemon version of Tuska the daemon killa, with jets for legs and a stormtalon engine and wings as his FMC part (he's a bloodthirster).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the very kind words about my Tentacle Makers! Send me some WIP photos and I'll put them in the gallery (or tag them Green Stuff Industries on FB)! Great looking conversions, BTW!

    ReplyDelete