Monday, January 26, 2015

An Incident in the Powder Room

There comes a time during cold/flu season when sane people should realize they aren't functioning correctly and just go lay down. However, a great many of us carry on with work,school or other chores because we "have to"...like using weathering powders. Needless to say, the Hulk was displeased with my initial effort...


 ....then again.... not much really pleases the guy anyways, except "smash"-ing. So, ya know what?... jog on, Hulkster its nothing I can't fix when I'm not sick.

For those of you that have tried your hand at weathering powders, you know there are "tricks". One of my favorites involved Isopropol Alcohol as a fixing agent. It makes a kind of watercolory/gouache thing out of the powders....that I could likely get much cheaper by just using friggin' gouache... but hey, I gotta have the cool toys too.  So, while it may not look totally terrible to some (and may look just AWESOME to others) the results were definitively NOT what I was after. There are some good spots and many not-so-good, yet not unfixable.   First, a little comparison with the "unspoiled" Rhino...


What I don't want is the HUGE block of orangy/red blah on the door, but the wierd little "water spot" of violet is actually intriguing.  The sand texture underneath is meant to be sort of organic, so the plan is to break some of the red/orange with some of the purple/fleshy/pinks of the upper hull gribblies once I paint them.  I'll break the rest up with some sponged black/brown.  Most of the rest of the hull aft of the door is pretty good and with a little detailing here and there will be done. Compared to the Rhino, which is where the Vindicator was before I got "wild with the powder" while on cold meds.

The other victim of "Man, that's just a big Spa-LATCH of flat color!" was the plow blade.  Partly due to a poorly executed application of Alcohol and finished off by the dullcoat spray fixative.


Again, a few interesting areas, but largely a redo or re-detail.  Here's a look at both sides, so you can see all the nits I'll be picking at for my next or a future post, because I may have to step off this model for a bit and build something to "clean my eyeballs".


I know, I know!  I could be a bit less of a crazy person over these things, but in all honesty, my dear friends, I've come to the painful realization of late that I am no longer a Warhammer 40k gamer. I .... am a hobbyist.  I have yet to play a game of 7th edition (partly due to scheduling and partly due to being stood up when I do find an opponent via my LGS websites). I'm not quitting.  I have a TON of unbuilt models and my wife said she'd kill me if I sold them for what they would fetch on the market these days.  So....I must build them.  I must build them all.  And have fun doing it.

THEREFORE... I might as well give these models the same kind of semi-psychotic scrutiny as I do any other piece of artwork I do. ;)

Just a side note, I'm going to get my art blog back up and running which means comics one of which will be about the Templars of DOOooom. No actual launch date yet, because I don't want to jinx myself, but the plan is instead of posting as I draw them this time and being horribly sporadic, to get a few a head and post monthly or bi-weekly so ya'll can get a chuckle and follow the storylines.  Personally, I like April Fool's day as a goal, but then no one will believe I'm actually going to do it if I say I'm going to do it.

Cheers ya'll!

3 comments:

  1. Does the varnish on the previous layer protect against the alcohol mixed with the powders? I made the error of just putting alcohol and powders down before...OOPS.

    Powders are definitely something that requires a lot of practice and patience. I think your stuff looks absolutely wonderful, and it makes perfect sense that one area would have a "non appropriate" amount of rust. It's nature. nature don't care what you think, it's gonna do what it is gonna do!

    I especially like these posts, because I'm about to put the chipping coats on my walkers, so seeing all these great grimmy photos are massively inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't do any varnish before I did the powders (another d'uh moment) so it will mix with the inks and such if you put too much on. It DOES stuck better that way, but you can't make mistakes. Cold meds tend to not be your friend when making decisions. My problem with some of the rusty areas is they are a bit too "flat" in tone and color, so I'll just have to break them up a bit. But you are definitely right.... powders take lots of practice and I literally had to dust my powder containers off. The next couple days are busy for me at my outside job but, I'll tidy them up this coming weekend and get to work on the organic bits. SO... Keep an eye out.

    I've been watching those Walker posts of yours. Cool stuff going on there. I used to do TONS of airbrush work when I did models for competition. Its tedious sometimes, but when its done it can look great. Though (and this is totally a personal preference because of the look) the final bits of orangy rust you might want to try a sponge or stippling with an old brush to get a more organic/random feel - because airbrushes are so "mechanical". If I was actually playing these days, I'd love to have a whole fleet of clanking Orky walkers like that ! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree about the mechanical ness. When i started the orange it just didn't look right...it looked too blended. So then I was fiddling with the ryza rust to try and get the effect. Maybe I'll try that with some sponging and stippling over the model with some random powers, then seal and try the chipping spray. Then the yellow...geez will these things ever be done.

      I will always keep an eye out, love your updates! Your work is inspirational and I don't mean that lightly!

      Delete