Monday, August 31, 2015

Da Great Basing Mek-speriment

Here's how the cracked mud/sand basing experiment went. I started with Acrylic Gesso ,Acrylic Modeling paste and Crackle medium.  Just to see what happened.


I did a 50/50 mix of each acrylic with the crackle medium and applied it to based.  A light coat on the left, getting progressively thicker as you go right.  I also added a little fine sand to the model paste/crackle mix.


Then I let it dry overnight.  I applied a light brown wash so you can see the results, which were far from impressive. But the model paste did crackle better...


 THEN.... I got my grubby little mitts on THIS STUFF!


Doing the same thing on 4 bases, a light smear on the left to about a 1/8"+ thickness  on the last one.  After only about 6 hours of drying, you can see the results are just pretty damned awesome.


There's plenty of paste in that container for basing, since you don't need much. As long as you aren't doing terrain with it, its worth the money, considering the number of bases you can do with one container. I found it at Michael's in the art department and I think it was @$16-17. Definitely seems you get bigger cracks with more stuff.  I'll be putting the crackle paste over the other bases, most likely.


In other news, I picked up the new Marine Codex, finally.  The one painted army I have (my Raptors Marine army) might be getting a few more guys so I can make the Demi-Company Formation... if I ever were to play. Its a pretty book. I'm glad I had a $10 off coupon though.

More Tropico and other madness in the next post.

Cheers Yall!

4 comments:

  1. I found that with about 1/4 an inch to 1/8 an inch thickness worked best, with a 48 hour drying time. Then seal, then prime, then go to town. (1/4 an inch for thicker cracks, 1/8th for thinner). Big thing was drying time, it takes a heck of a long time for it to dry properly, and you have to be patient!

    You can also bulk order it on ebay, for a significant discount.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm averaging about 1/8-1/16" in the model bases. I've noticed if you want complex cracks you go thinner, more intense cracks thicker. So I'm mixing it up. I've also noticed that before you seal it you can pick chunks off pretty easy if you want to do something/add something to the base. Its neat stuff and goes well with the arid grassland/ hill country look of the bases I've been doing for my armies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also try poking and creating flat raised surfaces. The greater the irregularity, the cooler it looks!
    Looking forward to seeing what you do with these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its fun having some new materials to goof with. I'm going to do some more experiments with other materials and sanding, etc.

    ReplyDelete