Tuesday, September 15, 2015

From the Workbench: Is that Shingles?

I've been picking away at a few different projects. I'm a building mood, so no new painting at teh moment. Harvey/Brent is coming along nicely. Here's the first bit of sculpting on the ol' boy...


And.. what may be the finished product.  Looks like a bad case of something.... ICK... shingles on steroids?


At this point he's something I don't want to look at for a a day or two before I decide if I need to go after the legs. He is a bit top heavy.  And in need of a topical cream, at the very least.

The details on the Apostles of Quetza Sergeant are done. Everything else will be painted and he's got a brandy new base.


And so did the Librarian, though he still needs an arm and maybe a few more tweeks.. 


That's all for now. I may just do some painting soon, either way keep an eye open this weekend for the next post.

Cheers Yall!

5 comments:

  1. Not looking at something for a few days is brilliant. I always worry about overworking models and don't have the full skillset to know "when to stop".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got that advise from my painting instructor in College. He's say, in his heavy Lithuanian accent.. "You must clean your eye balls and look at it fresh." He always promoted working on at least two painting at a time, so you could set one down and walk away from it for a few days. He's give us all of our assignments for the half the semester, which would kill some people who put everything off. But not only was it a lesson in time management, but it helped you walk away from projects for a few days and still be working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great advice! The favorite thing one of my professors did was take one of my paintings, take it out side, flip it upside down, and say "Now look at it". and walk way.

      Delete
  3. HA! The professor I mentioned used to take people paintings and turn them sideways or upside down during individual/in-progress critiques all the time. Most of the time it just drove people nuts, but every once in a while it bore fruit. He was one of my favorite instructors and just a neat guy to chat with. He was a child in Lithuania during WW2 and came to the states right after the war. Really neat stories of the war, how they escaped Russia and eventually made it to the states.

    ReplyDelete