Thursday, October 15, 2015

Dreadtober: In progress.

So the primary focus of the Dreadtober challenge is the Venerable Dreadnaught. In an attempt to make a solid color more interesting, I'm trying to get a faded/weathered look to my olive green. Kind of like on this P51 model (not mine...scammed it off the interwebs)


The base color is GW Chardonite Granite, then there are two shades of PP Battledress Green, one of which was mixed a bit darker and greener (can't remember with what though) and the other is straight.  Basically, the technique from there is a mix of stippling and drybrushing, with the paint more faded in the center of the areas.  


Here's the first two colors applied, next to the base color.... 


And the bottom one is highlighted again with a mix off PP Battledress Green and GW Ogryn Camo.  After that I got out my trusty GW Althonian Camoshade and did some washing.  The end result isn't quite as severe as the P-51, but the tone matches my previously painted army pretty well and still has that worn, battle tested look.  The Claw arm still needs its metal work, power claws and piddly details done yet.


The pictures (and I took several) didn't really do the bronze battle plate on the side of the arm justice. I'm hoping to get a better picture of that next time, because it came out really well. As for the rest of the Venerable Brother.



 He's got his base coats and detailing will start this weekend. I'm hoping to have him done so I have at least a week to work on the others.  Optimistically, I should get 2 of the 3 done...MAaaaaaaaybe, I'll pull off all 3 before the end of the month. If not, it'll be the project until Thanksgiving break, which is pretty much my only holiday since I'll be working at Christmas time.  Unless I win the Lotto.

Cheers Yall!

7 comments:

  1. The one zoomed in photo really helps showcase the work you've done. (Everyone click and look!). I think you need a non white background to snap some of these shots though. The transitions and color shifts are subtle and the white doesn't help much and washes it out a bit! Great progress, and that bronze plate is pretty much flawless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, very nice indeed on the bronze and the verdigris. Mine's usually a bit cartoony but this is really quite subtle and realistic.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, they were just quick so I could get a post up. I'll get some better shots on the next go round. The whole faded thing is usually something better done with an airbrush, however on minis you can get some real cool stippling effects with brushes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, when you do that with the airbrush you usually mix the base color with a light grey. I may be tweeking what I have before the next update.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have to request a video, but i don't know if it would show it properly!

      Delete
    2. The hard part would be me taking it properly. :)

      Delete