Tuesday, February 7, 2017

First we clean... then we paint.

I finally got a day where I could do my own thing. So what do I do? I start tearing apart THIS mess...


And that was just part of it. I took 4 garbage bags out and a HUGE stack of old magazines. I started to do some organizing, like putting all of my character clam packs in one shoe box and all of my after market bitz orders in another. Its still a bit of a mess and I have plans to move some stuff around, but its better.  Here's the Junkyard of forgotten Ork projects.  The minions watching over it aren't very good since its obviously infested with termagaunts.


Then there is the Paint Deck....as in stuff that is in progress but needs to be finished.


Emptying drawers in that dresser was a big priority. I came to two conclusions. First, I have a ridiculous number of bitz and sprues from kits across the GW range. Second, I also have more fishing tackle than 6 people could use in a lifetime. The fishing stuff will be a huge undertaking of its own.  In one of the drawers I found some old pictures I took in High School, which shouldn't have been there. Among them was a picture of a drawing I did in 1985.


I cleaned off my hobby desk and decided I didn't really feel like building, I felt more like painting to get back in the swing of things. SO, the Ork-sair is in a ziplock bag for the time being and I grabbed a unit of Plaguebearers from the Paint Deck to finish off.  A while back I experimented on these guys with different color washes on the same base coat. There will be a common overall look to bring the unit together, but I'm going to run with each slightly different base coat and see where they go. First up, the boss man.


He was pretty standard, dark brown base, GW Rakarth Flesh/Orgyn Camo mix drybrush and GW Druchii Purple wash.  I did another dry brush a green and picked out the pustules and details with a bleached bone color. Now for the washes....


Some washes with a mix of the GW Blood for the Blood God medium and Druchii Purple and/or Althonian Camoshade.  The purple and Camoshade are my go-to colors for these earthy olives.  The purple is great for deepened shades. It also mixes with the blood medium well for some nasty looking dark bloody stuff. I found that washing this around the pustules is an easy way to give it that inflamed/bruised look. A little wash of GW Gryphonne Sepia, to give a yellowish tint. Then you just back in with the bleached bone and give the pimple a head. :)
I also did some tasty running sores and open woulds. The mouths I used the same dirty blood color.

Then on to picking out details with GW Rakarth Flesh, putting heads on pimples and the like.  He's pretty close to done, but there are some more details to work on.



Nice to be back in the saddle, more Nurgly goodness to come.

Cheers Ya'll!

2 comments:

  1. I always find cleaning the hobby area is an essential first step in the painting process. Helps organize and get everything in the right place, and gives you that last little procrastinating before you are forced to dive in. Plague bearers look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Especially when I change gears from building to painting or have had some time away from the hobby. I paint on my laptop painting station, but have it on the desk, since it has all the spots for brushes and paint. I'm going to get some painting in tonight..... after litter boxes.

    ReplyDelete