Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Plaguey

Sure, I could be painting, but I got distracted by some artwork among other things.  Been round and round over a bad tooth for the last couple weeks, which finally came out today. Also prepping to have one less job, though it pained me to leave it. But the energy will will be pointed where it should have been since January, a website, comics and generally taking another shot at being an actual artist.  For those of us that have reached middle age that whole "Ive got 20 good years left in me, what am I going to do with it?" thing can be a real nag.

The humble blog will blog along, hopefully as part of a bigger and better thing. For those with experience building their own website, do ya'll have any experience with Wix, Squarespace or the like?  Lots of my friends are recommending Squarespace.  Any thoughts, gang?

Anyways, back to plaguebearers. I have put some time in on Two Toed Ted's merry band, as well as some reorganizing of the artroom.  But Zzzzz's comment about a comic plaguebearer got me itching to try one out.  I'm not finished coloring him in, but here's what I've got so far.

 First, the ink.

 I kind of did this as an exercise to help me get more and more comfortable with my Wacom.  I did the base drawing with pencil, then a basic ink drawing, scanned it and turned the ink drawing into a grey sketch. Then I did all the "inking" with the Wacom.  After that I dropped in some flat background colors


After that its off to adding color. Originally, I planned on doing something more simple, like what might be on a comic page, but I got carried away.  



At this point, the green skin areas are pretty much done, though I may continue to tinker with them. Still have to do his eyelid, eyes, pimples and guts.

I'm being my own art teacher (takes me back to my student teaching days, but with a LOT less nude bikers and charcoal) by giving myself assignments. The end goal is to be comfortable in the digital realm to work on the 2 notebooks worth of comics I have written. :)

I'll finish this guy up and should have some finished Plaguebearers around the weekend. Then, by the request of my Dutch mate, Augustus over at Bolter and Cahinsword, Ms. Charlotte is next on the painting schedule. :)

Cheers ya'll!



No comments:

Post a Comment