Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Nurgly skin: Da Rednekk Way

In an attempt to document the process in which I paint, I present the following.  Herr Nurgly Kommisar will be the guinea pig.   First, I prime the mini.  I like brown or rust red primer for my chaos stuff... and most other things.  Just because the brown is about the same value and I cover the whole thing in a dark brown acrylic anyways.   My "black/brown" mix is dark brown, black ink and matte medium.  Its kind of thin, but putting an acrylic base over your primer really helps the paint hold on. PLUS it seeps into all the nooks and crannies and helps shade the model in the long run.



Then the first color I use on the skin. A drybrush of Rakarth Flesh.



I've included my brushes in many of the shots to show you how ratty and beat up some of them are.  Sometimes, that's not s bad thing.  Especially if you are trying to stipple in an uneven pattern or something.   Next I highlight the rough drybrush with some lighter Elf Flesh. In the end product only some of this actually shows through, so its almost a throw away step, but up close you can see the different tones.



Then another highlight of Rotting Flesh.  Yes, I could probably do this in less steps, but layers make richer colors in the end.



One more stipple of a bright fleshy color in some spots.....



....and on to the first wash.



Then for some shading, with another wash...



Then I pick out some highlights with a 50/50 mix of Rotting and Elf Flesh.



Some spot washes with a thinned Althonian Camoshade and pick out some shadows with Druchii Purple.



....then a little green highlight in some spots....



Up next, pustules.



And then we make them look sore and nasty.  I mix Blood for the Blood God with purple shade. For little bloody details, I add a little Gore Red to the mix.  Then pick out the heads on the pimples with the above color.



AND the skin is done.  Next up, the rusty armor.

I've been picking away at all the details on Ms. Charlotte's sides. More on that next time.

Cheers Ya'll!

3 comments:

  1. I might have to tweek some of these photos, they look a little bright now that I see them on the page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tweeked! Photos are a much better match to the actual colors. I'll have to remember to watch that when I do the rusty bitz step-by-step.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tanks for the tutorial! It is awesome to see how all the layers and colors come together into one glorious, disgusting way.

    ReplyDelete